J38 truckstop on the M6 is one of the most popular truckstops in the UK. CV Driver magazine poses a series of questions to find out what makes the site so special
Q. What kind of services do you provide for our readers?
A. Our facilities include:
• 24 hour filling station and shop with a full range of goods for the traveller
• Village shop with grocery essentials, hot and cold food and drinks to go and a selection of items from our butchery, which is located at Tebay Services on the main M6 motorway
• HGV parking and changeover facilities.
• Cameras, lighting and a parking marshall for safe overnight parking
• Café where customers can take a break away from the busy M6 or the A685 and sit for a while. We’re located down under the motorway with a green tree-lined perimeter, seemingly miles away from the busy road. We also cook to order, so drivers can now phone in advance to order their evening meal for their arrival time
• For HGVs we offer bunkered fuel.
Q. Give us some examples of the ways in which you go the extra mile
A. We pride ourselves in making all the food we serve ourselves, just as you would at home.
We source ingredients from local businesses where we can for quality and to reduce food miles, from our free range eggs from a local farmer, to meat reared on our family farm in Orton, less than a mile away.
Our work with the community goes beyond our food sourcing.
We have worked with local trades people for decades, employ our team from the local area and we take part in community activities in Tebay and other surrounding villages.
Our friendly colleagues enjoy building up a rapport with our customers and are always willing to go the extra mile.
Q. How have you been coping during the Covid-19 crisis and what changes have you had to make to your business?
A. Due to the current pandemic, we have introduced a number of changes in order to make our site safer for both our customers and our colleagues.
We have hand sanitisers available at every door and throughout the building. We have erected screens to shield customers and colleagues.
Single use gloves are now available on every single fuel pump. We have adapted our card acceptance for HGV fuel and worked with fuel hauliers to ensure drivers are safe, have plenty of space and can turn around quickly. The current climate also saw us become an essential place for locals to stock up on grocery and household items, so we have adapted our range to accommodate this.
Q. From talking to truckers, how do you think they have been bearing up under the pandemic strain?
A. We really value our HGV driver customers and it’s been great to hear about the initiatives going on across different companies.
One of our favourites we’ve heard about is how Beatty’s Transport drivers coloured their hair all the colours of the rainbow to show their support during lockdown.
We know lots of drivers chose to stop with us during the pandemic due to our driver offers and safe environment, which reassured them when travelling in the height of the pandemic.
Our team have really enjoyed fuelling the drivers who are keeping everything going and delivering essential items throughout the year and hope we can create a relaxing environment with great food to fuel drivers before they continue their journey.
Twitter – @J38Truckstop
Facebook – Junction 38 Truckstop
Web – www.westmorlandfamily.com/ourvision/businesses/junction-38-services
6am – 9pm Monday to Friday
7am – 3.30pm Saturday & Sunday
7am – 7.30pm Monday to Friday
Closed Saturday & Sunday
Forecourt shop open 24 hrs